Are you looking forward to refreshing your appearance with dermal fillers but feeling nervous about getting the injections for the first time? This guide will give you an overview of the dermal filler treatment process to alleviate your anxiety and get you ready for your procedure.
What Are Dermal Fillers and How Do They Work?
Facial dermal fillers are gel-like substances that are injected beneath the skin. Fillers offer a variety of benefits, from restoring lost volume, smoothing lines and wrinkles, and softening creases for an overall refreshed appearance.
Dermal fillers can perform the following functions:
- Add volume to sagging skin and hollow facial areas
- Add volume to sunken scars
- Achieve facial symmetry
- Minimize the appearance of facial wrinkles and creases
- Plump up cheeks and lips
- Augment the chin and jawline
There are a variety of FDA-approved filler products that differ in their chemical formula, longevity, and degree of softness to address each patient’s desired results. Popular filler options include:
- Hyaluronic acid (HA) – (e.g., Juvederm® and Restylane®). Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance found in the skin that keeps it plump and hydrated. The filler can be used for facial contouring as it restores lost volume to plump the skin while smoothing away wrinkles.
- Poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA) – (e.g., Sculptra®) This collagen stimulator is formulated to replace natural collagen depletion that occurs as part of the aging process. Sculptra addresses volume loss and delivers longer-lasting results that improve over time. It is ideal for those with deep facial creases, folds, and hollows.
- Calcium Hydroxylapatite (CaHA) – (e.g., Radiesse) The suspended calcium microspheres in these fillers stimulate your body’s natural collagen production. Over time, your body absorbs the substance and replaces it with naturally produced collagen, effectively treating deep wrinkles and creases, nasolabial folds, and scarring.
How Are Dermal Fillers Administered?
Dermal fillers are injected under the skin in precise amounts using a thin needle or cannula. You may feel a pinch or sting, but the injections are generally considered to be a well-tolerated procedure. Many filler products also contain lidocaine, a mild anesthetic, to help minimize discomfort during and after your treatment. Your provider may inject the filler in several areas of your face, depending on the concerns you wish to address. The entire procedure should take about 15 minutes to complete.
What Are The Possible Side Effects of Using Dermal Fillers?
Complications and side effects from dermal fillers are typically minor, infrequent, and temporary. They include:
- Bleeding, bruising, swelling, redness, pain
- Asymmetry issues
- Lumps and bumps under the skin
- Rashes and itching
- Acne-like symptoms
How Long do Dermal Fillers Last?
HA fillers typically last for 6-12 months, while collagen stimulators can last up to 2 years. Longevity varies from filler to filler and patient to patient. Your provider will create a personalized treatment plan to help you maintain your improvements indefinitely.
Who is a Good Candidate for Dermal Fillers?
Those who have signs of aging – including lines, wrinkles, hollow facial contours, thinning lips, creases, and sagging skin – may benefit from dermal filler injections. It is an ideal treatment option for those who prefer an immediate onset of results, require only mild to moderate correction, desire natural-looking results, and prefer a non-invasive approach to skin rejuvenation.
Questions About Dermal Fillers? Schedule a Consultation With Our Dermatologists Today!
At Laser & Skin Surgery Center of Pennsylvania in Devon, Pennsylvania, we believe that educating our patients allows them to make the best decisions for their needs and aesthetic goals. We are also committed to administering the highest quality of care by using the most advanced methods in research, diagnosis, and treatments, including skin rejuvenation through dermal fillers.
All our dermal filler treatments are conducted by board-certified dermatologists who have the training and experience necessary to deliver beautiful, natural-looking results with injectables.
Dermal fillers offer a minimally invasive way to minimize signs of aging and improve your appearance. If you’re looking for a dermal filler treatment near you or would like more information about cheek, chin, or lip filler benefits, Contact Laser & Skin Surgery Center of Pennsylvania to schedule a consultation. Our board-certified dermatologists would be more than happy to assess your skin and provide a personalized treatment plan for you.
Next, read about…
Homepage // Blog / Skin Conditions Commonly Confused With AcneNot every bump on the skin is a pimple. Redness, rashes, allergic reactions, and skin infections can sometimes mimic the look and feel of acne symptoms, but these conditions are not actually active acne. If...
Homepage // Blog / What Are Common Underlying Medical Conditions That Cause Acne?Acne is a common condition that mostly affects teenagers but can occur in adults as well. Underlying medical conditions can increase an adult’s chances of experiencing this dermatologic...
Homepage // Blog / 7 Botox Alternatives to Achieve Smoother SkinBotox® Cosmetic has become one of the most popular cosmetic procedures of the 21st century, as it can effectively reduce wrinkles and provide a smoother, more youthful-looking complexion. However, not...
laser & skin
surgery center of Pennsylvania
Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 6:00pm
Limited Saturdays: 8:00am - 12:00pm
Monday - Wednesday, Friday: 9am - 4:30pm
Thursday: 9am - 5pm
Patient Visits Before 8/23:
Patient Visits After 8/23:
*Physicians perform 100% of all medical and cosmetic treatments.